Arabesque,

Arabesque: Chapter 16

5/01/2017 Laura Watkins 0 Comments

Image Source
I will be sharing parts of my writing every week (alternating between Arabesque and Persephone) as I write them (with the exception of some parts of Arabesque, which were written previously), so please be patient with any errors you may find, as these are a first drafts.

About the book

Tatania is tired of living in her sister's shadow but doesn't know about Princess Anna's dark secret. Bound by a sacred oath, Anna's struggles to live a double life that can never be her own. 

Described as "Sense and Sensibility meets Ever After with ninjas," Arabesque is full of action, romance, intrigue, and betrayal.


Since I've always been super paranoid, Arabesque was officially copyrighted in 2009. Duplication or use of this work in any other form is prohibited by law.



Chapter 16
Tatania

I closed my eyes and the music flowed through my body. My heart pulsed as only that spell commanded. I raised my arms to touch the moon-it felt so near, as if it would descend into my embrace. The music had stopped but I could not notice, there was a sweeter melody that beckoned me. I had never felt so free.

Clover petals cushioned each step. They bowed under my feet then sprung back up as I moved. I danced wildly as the wind sped my movement. Twirling madly, I faltered. My head spun and I fell to the earth. I landed flat on my back. For the moment, my breath escaped me. Clouds shadowed the dark sky. The distant melody of the orchestra was audible once again. Between gasps for breath, I started to laugh. I laid there for a time and though about just how silly I was. I laughed harder. Oh well, guess I'll never grow up. . . .

A startling sound jerked me to my feet. I wasn't the only one laughing! The blood that didn't rush to my cheeks, drained from my head. It took a lot of effort not to just pass out then and there. My brain very nearly had a stroke trying to process everything. With the added stress of the emotions ranging from confused and embarrassed to livid ran through me, it's no wonder I started to wobble.

Alec's strong arms caught me before I could hit the ground. "Whoa there, don't fall," he said.

'Whoa there?' What am I, a horse? I broke free of his grip and stumbled to my knees. "Why do you have this fascination with holding people who don't want to be touched," I tried to scream, but was still so breathless, it came out as a hiss.

"I can understand why other people may not want to touch you. They might get a hand bitten off!"

"If you touch me again I just might bite off your hand! Don't you have any respect for privacy or personal space? I can't believe you were spying on me again! Is it your life mission to find new ways to embarrass and humiliate me? You and Genevieve must get along great! If you touch me again I'll...." I stopped there. If I said it, I'd do it right then.

I turned and stormed back toward the ball. Alec called for me. When I didn't slow down, he took my wrist and asked me to wait for him. My body trembled with fury. I almost considered stopping my fist from smashing his nose-but not quite.

Blood trickled between the fingers that covered his nose. His shocked eyes stared at me. Guess he's never been beaten up by a girl, not sure how he managed that one.

I should have walked or ran away right then, but something stopped me. Maybe it was the pain in his eyes or the growing crimson stain blossoming on his formal shirt. Ugh, what a bleeding heart I am! Walk away Tat, the jerk will live!"

Alec just stood there blankly. Idiot's gonna let himself bleed to death,why doesn't he do anything?"
With a roll of the eyes and a sigh of frustration, I resignedly tore a chunk of fabric off my skirt. "Watch out," I said abruptly as I put the cloth to his nose and pinched to stop the bleeding. "Hold it here like this."

"Thanks," Alec muttered. He replaced my hand with his and sat down on the grass. I began to walk away. "Wait," he said, his voice muffled by the scrap of gown that matched the blood.

"I really don't think you want me to do that, you might end up bleeding elsewhere. Isn't once enough for tonight?"

He lightly dabbed his wound and looked at the cloth. Apparently the flow had lessened to an occasional drip. "It was worth it." He grinned, then saw I was ready to make good on my speech. "Wait! I mean, I'm sorry that I upset you. I wanted to know where you went when you left the ball...and then when I saw you dancing, I couldn't help but watch you."

Please tell me that I didn't just blush, I'm still furious! This jerk has to learn to leave me alone!

Dark eyelashes outlined the green eyes that looked up at me. His black hair and cream skin contrasted, causing a subtle glow in the soft moonlight.

"Your movement was intoxicating." His eyes twinkled mischievously and his mouth raised into a crooked smile. "I had no idea you possessed emotions positive enough to translate into anything of such grace and beauty."

They say not to kick a man when he's down, but yeah, he had it coming!

I walked alone back to the party. Alec cursed inaudibly and clutched his knee.

More coming soon! Read Chapter 17 here or more about my projects here.
Psst! Don't miss a post! Sign up for my email list and get your 


* indicates required






What types of updates do you want to receive:









    You Might Also Like

    0 comments: